Sunday, March 20, 2016

We All Have a Past!

I  saw this picture and it reminded me of something that happened years ago. We had gone to beg a friend's mother in-law to be to let her son marry my friend.  it was my self, my friend, her mom and her aunt.

The woman wouldn't even allow us in. I can't even believe I went with them. I went because I had nothing to do at home and it was sort of entertainment to me besides I was being a good friend. The husband to be couldn't reason with his mom. Her reason for not supporting the union was because she felt my friend wasn't good enough for her only child, my friend according to stories she had heard was a "runs girl" who had has had several abortions. No amount of fasting, prayers and begging will make her change her mind.

After pleading for her to let us in, she finally agreed for us to coming in but we only had 30 minutes to plead our case but informed us, it won't change her mind. I was beyond exhausted from helping them to beg, I was tired, hungry and before I knew it,  sleep don catch me.

I was so enjoying the sleep o! From no where, I heard a loud scream and arguments all around me. My friend's aunt was fighting with mother in-law to be.  Apparently aunty knew the groom's mother from way back when she was in secondary school. MIL was the girl that slept around with any guy for something, and got pregnant but didn't know who was responsible for the pregnancy. She opted for an abortion, which is illegal in Nigeria. Without telling anyone about her pregnancy  (She tried to pin it on the guys but they all denied it)  she went to a quack doctor who was still doing his residency. She was bleeding for almost a week. Her family rushed her to the hospital which happened to be my friend's uncle's hospital. He performed surgery on her and saved her life. She was told that she has little or no chance of getting pregnant.  God blessed her with her only son after years of being married. She became a born again Christian and a judgemental one. She was known for this. She pitied no one!

So after the remembrance story, na so aunty just cool down! She was quiet, which scared all of us. We didn't know what was happening. You could see the pain in her eyes,  it was full of regret. I really felt bad, Na who send me? We didn't hear from her for a week. Groom to be was worried for his mother, she didn't eat for a week. Locked herself in her room just crying and praying. 

She finally sent for my friend, she knelt down and asked for forgiveness. She confirmed the stories about her wild younger years. She gave her blessings.  They are married with 3 children. 

4 comments:

  1. 'He without sin should cast the first stone'.This kind of thing happens all the time. It's common among naija religious folk though. I try and stay away from hypocritical bible thumpers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She wanted the best for her son but didn't look at it in another perspective. Glad ur friend finally clinched her man. Our ways are not God's ways definitely.

    OST

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Almighty will not put us all to shame.... Mother in-laws pls allow ur daughter in-laws enjoy there marriage ... I not the man is ur son but try to let them become one OK .. We aren't God ... U married ur husband and had him let them do same OK and God will help and guide them ..... Every thing in life is wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She probably didn't see it that way.
    Don't judge her.
    She agreed eventually.

    ReplyDelete