Friday, March 18, 2016

UPDATE! MAN WHO MARRIED WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF HIS WIFE'S PARENTS RELEASED

"It is with profound gratitude to all those who supported me and my husband at these trying times that I announce to you that my husband was released last night along with Dr Kingsley who witnessed my marriage at the Ikoyi Registry. When I first put up this on social media, many people who didn’t know the scary situation I found myself viewed it with disdain. I can understand it since it was viewed as a family affair and should remain so. Frankly, that was my thought before things went sour. My fear and apprehension of what was to come led me to cry out. Threats of deaths and arrests began to fly around in a supposedly family affair and indeed the threat of arrest was effected. My husband was arrested at LUTH, by the Dolphin Police, for marrying me at Ikoyi Registry without my parents’ consent. On a good day, that is not proper but only a few open-minded people asked why. He was later transferred to the dreaded Panti Police Station the following day. After he was led to Panti, someone went to Dolphin Police Station to look for him but was informed that no such person was ever brought there. That sent shivers to my marrow because we got information that my husband will be killed and disposed of. Why my lawyers were waiting to see him at Panti, he was led away through the back door and the men at the counter informed my lawyers that no one like my husband was brought there. I later discovered that he was led to the hospital where I worked and to the house of my in-laws to search for me. It was not until late last night that the leadership of the police force ordered for his unconditional release and safe dispatch to our residence. I once again say thank you to all those who were part of this effort. My friends and some extended family members, people on social media who trended the news, the press, my lawyers, people who called from all over the world wanting to know what was going on. It was during this ordeal that one of my international callers informed me that just a couple of days ago, a Kurdish woman called Shilan was shot dead in Germany for refusing to marry someone who was forced on her. May the soul of Shilan rest in peace. My case is no different. While Shilan was 22 years, I am 28 years. That makes it sound ridiculous even to the ears of a deaf man that I will be forced to marry a man named Stanley, a man who had categorically stated to me that he wasn't interested again, but for the prodding of my father, Dr Ejike. This cause is no longer about me, it is now about thousands or perhaps millions of girls and women across the world who are forced to marry the wrong people, about the police force who compromise and inflict injustice to innocent people and most painfully, about people who keep quiet when evil triumph. The sequence of this story dealt a ruthless blow to the global movement for the rights of women. The District Police Officer who arrested my husband is a woman, the Investigating Police Officers in Panti Police Station are women who failed in doing the right thing in the course of their duty. It is very unfortunate. As I continue my consultations with stakeholders all around the world who reached out to me on the way forward to fight this evil practice of forced union, I once again say thank and God bless. Dr Nolulieaku Orji-Madugba."

8 comments:

  1. I still maintain you be in good accord with your parents. The fact is if they don't see they won't say. Having said that, if you now decide to go with this marriage, no need to drag your father or family down because of a man. When the chips are down he can never love u more than the parents that gave you life. Think about it.

    OST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't agree. Its mentality like this that destroy normalcy in life. How can one say who loves the other the most? We do not know her family situation and even if we did, she is old enough to decide what she wants and face the repercussions (if any) later. Biko our parents want the best for us, we also have an idea of what we want for ourselves.

      Delete
    2. Ummm no... parent or no parent. They were evil enough to have someone else's child arrested and potentially harmed. All because they don't want to respect their daughters wishes. Fuck that. She doesn't have to drag their names in mud but she needs to distance herself until they come to their senses.
      She is not doing this because of a man. They hurt their own daughter too.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm life.... It is well mu dear u no better and u no what u want ... U no ur foundation and I am sure u are from a family with a pedigree... Tomorrow u want ur. Children to have the best and do the best ... Take a deep breath and think deep ... All by ur self and look into the future .. If it show u light .joy.peace and happeness as in u fill fulfilled with the way it is then girl take a trip to any past of the world and have fun with ur man but if u see calm sad lonely and dull feeling in the whole drama take ur time to go see ur family and abend things and still have ur marriage with their blessing OK.. We always need our family no matter what ..take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two grown ass people,an arranged marriage in ds age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know!! Forcing her to marry someone else as if they will be in the marriage with her. Pure bullshit.

      Delete
  4. Do parent still arrange marriage for their kids at this age and time??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her parents were wrong. Simple! Parents can also be wrong. Not all their decisions/actions in the interest of their child/children is always right. People need to allow their grown children live the life they choose.

    ReplyDelete